5.4.06

INUIT


I've been told by a much respected follower of my blog that I've covered pretty well everything except the Eskimos. In as far as that concerns the Canadian administered regions for these wonderful people, I truly must apologise. As soon as time permits I will make up for it.

Over time I collected just a few soapstone carvings,very expressive handiwork by of a couple of native artists. In the mid 70s I had the pleasure of meeting a number these people ,patients of a local Hospital, for some reason they had contracted Tuberculoses.

Sadly, their way of life after the arrival of the white man has changed forever. They're out of the igloo now. Living largely in government provided housing often in crowded living conditions.
Apparently, they have 40 ways to say snow.
The Ski-Doo is used today instead of the Husky sled dogs.

No comments: